FUSE Labs, in collaboration with the iConference, is offering a $3,000 travel award for each team selected to participate in the 2014 Social Media Expo in Berlin. Teams must be from one of the member institutions. More info here.
The teams need to submit a 4-page paper along with a video, that incorporate user research, design, prototyping, and/or system evaluation around topics such as:
- Collecting and evaluating big social data
- Statistical/algorithmic work for detecting and summarizing societal patterns
- Visualization of societal patterns
- Designing for large scale collective action
- Supporting emergent, community-based civic activities in addition to direct governmental involvement
The projects must explore a technological solution to meeting a concrete need or opportunity around the theme of leveraging social media to foster a smarter society.