FUSE Labs, in collaboration with the iConference, is offering a $3,000 travel award for each team selected to participate in the 2014 Social Media Expo in Berlin. Teams must be from one of the member institutions. More info here.
The teams need to submit a 4-page paper along with a video, that incorporate user research, design, prototyping, and/or system evaluation around topics such as:
- Collecting and evaluating big social data
- Statistical/algorithmic work for detecting and summarizing societal patterns
- Visualization of societal patterns
- Designing for large scale collective action
- Supporting emergent, community-based civic activities in addition to direct governmental involvement
The projects must explore a technological solution to meeting a concrete need or opportunity around the theme of leveraging social media to foster a smarter society.
The projects will be selected based on these criteria:
- Clarity of the expressed need or opportunity
- Creativity in approach
- Evidence that both social and technological sciences contribute to the solution
- November 1, 2013: Faculty sponsors for participating student groups submit a one page Letter of Interest, see instructions below.
- December 2, 2013: Student groups submit 4 page abstracts with 3-5 minute videos summarizing their group projects.
- December 16, 2013: Student groups are notified if they are invited to participate in the iConference Social Media Expo.
- March 4-7, 2014: iConference Social Media Expo 2014 at the iConference in Berlin, Germany.
Photo credit: GriinBlog (CC BY).